- Undergraduate Programs
- International Students
- Financial Information
- Online Payments
- Online Application
- Early Childhood and Secondary Education Program
- BSc. in Public Sector Management
Bachelor of Science in Public Sector Management
The Bachelor Degree in Public Sector Management programme consists of 138 credit hours; seventy-two credit hours at the associate degree level (AA) and sixty-six credit hours at the bachelor level. This program is designed to be completed within a two and a half year period for those applicants that have met all the AA prerequisite requirements. Applicants who have completed the Diploma in Public Sector Administration program from UWI and have enrolled into this program will have some of their credits transferred into this bachelor degree programme. This bachelor degree programme is designed both as a terminal qualification and for further studies at the master’s degree level.
The major goal of this programme is to provide students with relevant training in public sector management by equipping them with the necessary skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to become functional administrators in the public sector, nonprofit sector, and even in the private sector. The vision of this programme is to produce a cadre of high quality, independent thinking graduates that will be capable of transforming public sector activities as it relates to efficiency and productivity in Belize to an internationally accepted level. The programme entails a balance of:
- Business Administration and Social Sciences professional core requirements
- Public Sector Management core requirements
- General Education core requirements
The B.Sc. in Public Sector Management programme allows students to be well rounded since they are taught and given the opportunity to research elements critical to the public sector. The programme also prepares students for supervisory/management positions in the public service, nonprofit agencies and the private sector. Students will learn how public agencies handle budgetary, financial, personnel and policy-making matters, which can differ significantly from the way private businesses operate. This major also prepares students for graduate study in Public Sector Management (UWI), general Public Administration, specialized planning and administrative fields or Public Policy and Administration.
- Develop knowledge, understanding and appreciation through general requirementcourses.
- Attain a thorough understanding of local, regional, and international public sector management principles.
- Gain an insight into the workings of public management functions and principles in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness of our bureaucratic machinery.
- Engage in individual and group research activities to explore public sector management issues and enhance verbal and written communication.
- Understand the importance of a properly functioning public sector in the broader context of national development.
- Develop and implement strategic plans, critically analyze public sector issues and make informed and rational decisions.
- Develop a sense of professionalism, diligence, responsibility and accountability as it pertains to the civil servant’s code of conduct.
For more information please download the following documents: